Forest City is proud to be one of the smallest communities to offer a full YMCA facility. Members may use the gymnasium, cardio/strength training room, walking/running track, racquetball courts, swimming pool, sauna, whirlpool, steam room, locker rooms, lounge area, child care room, and Oleson Family Game Room during operating hours. Fitness classes, youth and adult programs are available for an additional fee. At times, parts of the Y may be closed due to classes or special events. Some areas have age restrictions.
Outside Group Facility Usage
You say it’s your birthday? Need to place to hold a meeting? Planning a group event? We’re happy to offer you a great place to have fun with your kids, family or group. Contact Bruce Mielke at 641-585-5220 to discuss your event.
Lockers and Locker Rooms
All members are welcome to use the lockers while using the facility. Members must provide their own padlock and must unlock and empty the locker upon leaving the facility each time. Members who would like to keep items in a locker on an overnight basis may rent a locker for an annual fee. Check with the front desk for availability. Cell phones with cameras are NOT permitted where people expect privacy.
Sit and enjoy your morning coffee, read the paper, watch television or socialize.
Parking lots are located on the south and west side of the building. Designated handicap spots are directly in front of the building.
Walking / Running Track
The walking/running track is available for all members in 7th grade and above. We cannot allow any exceptions for safety reasons. 15-17 laps equal one mile and exercise bikes are available around the track.
- On even numbered days, move clockwise and odd number days move counterclockwise.
- Allow for safe passing in the outside lanes. Be aware of others to avoid accidents.
- Food and beverages are not allowed on the track.
- Pull off to the side of the track to take your pulse.
- Carry in clean athletic shoes that are non-marking.
Two courts are available for members at no extra fee.
- Courts may be reserved up to 48 hours in advance at the front desk or by calling the Y. If you are unable to keep the time that you have reserved, please call one hour in advance to cancel.
- High school and adult members may reserve courts.
- Reservation hour ends 60 minutes after reservation time.
- Limit is one play per day (unless given permission)
- Use of safety glasses is strongly recommended. Glasses are available without charge by request.
- Racquets and balls are also available upon request for a small fee, or you may bring your own.
- Please wear clean, non-marking shoes inside the court.
Sauna / Steam Room / Whirlpool
The capacity for all is 10 people. The sauna is a dry sauna set to 178 degrees Fahrenheit. The steam room uses scented oil and is set to 125 degrees Fahrenheit. The whirlpool is 3 feet in depth and is set to 104 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The sauna, steam room and whirlpool are reserved for high school students and above with the exception of Friday evenings when 6th through 8th grade students are allowed. Ages 6+ are permitted when supervised by an adult.
- Do not use these facilities for more then 10 minutes without a break or without waiting 20 minutes after a strenuous workout.
- Users may not lie down, exercise or sleep in the steam room or sauna.
- Newspapers, gum, food or drinks are not permitted.
- Shoes are not allowed in the sauna or steam room.
- Showers must be taken after using the sauna or steam room before entering the pool or whirlpool.
- Persons with disabilities must be supervised by an adult.
- Using the whirlpool/sauna/steam room increases body temperature and may cause changes in blood pressure. Ask your doctor before using if you are pregnant, elderly, have diabetes, have heart disease or have high/low blood pressure.
Cardio/Strength Training Room
The Y’s cardio/strength room is available to all members in high school and above. Grades 7 and 8 are allowed if permission forms are completed. The permission forms are available at the Front Desk. Please be courteous and wipe equipment down with sanitizer after use.
Oleson Family Game Room
The game room is available for all members during facility hours. The game room is staffed after school until 6 p.m. and during the school year weekends. Therefore, a parent or another supervising adult must accompany children when staff is not present.
Our gym is a full court with two cross courts and six baskets. It is open for basketball, volleyball and indoor soccer. Volleyballs and soccer balls must be checked out at the front desk and returned after usage.
The pool is four lanes wide and 25 yards long. Pool depths are 3 ½ feet at the shallow ends and 6 ½ feet in the center. The water temperature is set to 85 degrees Fahrenheit and the air temperature is 87 degrees Fahrenheit. The humidity ranges from 65 to 80 percent. The pool capacity is 100 with one guard per 30 people.
- No swimming without an authorized lifeguard present.
- Soap showers are required before entering the pool or whirlpool.
- Swimsuits or guard-approved shorts and t-shirts only. No cut-offs.
- No diving, running, pushing or playing on the portable stairs.
- No glass, food, gum or drinks permitted in the pool area. Water bottles must stay on deck and are not allowed in the steam room or sauna.
- Children unable to swim without floatation devices must be accompanied by an adult in the water within arm’s reach at all times.
- Non-swimmers of all ages must stay in the shallow water. Passing a deep water test may be required.
- Children not toilet trained must wear approved swim diapers only. Cloth or regular diapers are not permitted.
- Float belts and other guard approved floatation devices are allowed at any time.
- Pool toys may be used by members during open hours if patron usage permits.
- Lap lane may be closed during classes and heavy use.
- Disregarding lifeguard’s requests or ignoring pool rules may result in a loss of pool privileges and/or your removal from the building.
An elevator is available for use by those who are disabled or unable to use the stairs. The elevator is located between the Y and Waldorf’s Fieldhouse.
Day Care Room
Members are encouraged to utilize the Kid Kare room while utilizing the facilities. There is a small fee and hours are available at the Front Desk.